Saturday, 16 May 2009

'looking outside....and inside'


Looking outside is looking inside.

I don’t know Robert Frank’s work that well (apart from the obvious iconic stuff, ‘Exile on Main St’, ‘Cocksucker Blues’ etc) but I'm learning more about his personal tragedies, his meditations on death, and how confessional his lesser known work is, i.e., the early polaroids, ‘Home Improvements’, ‘True Story’ (His friend erases the word ‘memory’ with difficulty, eventually leaving the word ‘me’), ‘Memory for the Children’, etc. ‘I’m always looking outside trying to look inside, trying to tell something that’s true’, he says...

2 comments:

Esme said...

I love the way you make photos look like photos, as in objects, separate from what they depict, something I'm trying to accomplish in my own work x

admin said...

really interesting comment, esme, thanks. people have said that to me before but as a criticism rather than as a compliment! i know just what you mean though and, thanks again for commenting.